Author: [AUTHOR] Published on 2/26/2020 6:55:00 AM
ASCPT Brief on the 2020 Annual Meeting
Reducing the Risk and Spread of the Coronavirus, COVID-2019
As of February 25, 2020
As ASCPT prepares for the March 18-21, 2020, ASCPT Annual Meeting in Houston, Texas, the Society is taking cautionary steps to help prepare attendees for safe travel to Houston as well as implementing best-practice guidelines onsite in Houston to reduce the risk and spread of the Coronavirus. Primary to ASCPT’s response to ensure the health of our attendees is the Officers of ASCPT’s decision to suspend registration by any individual from China, aligning with the current travel ban over concerns of the Coronavirus from this region.
ASCPT takes the health and safety of our attendees seriously. If you are currently experiencing any flu-like symptoms, including but not limited to runny nose, coughing, sore throat, fever or signs of upper respiratory infection, please consider your fellow attendees and stay home.
As you travel to ASCPT, here are steps you should take en route:
- If it is clear that someone seated near you is ill, move or ask the flight attendant to be reseated.
- Travel with hand sanitizer and/or wipes. Wipe off the arm rest and the tray table immediately.
- Cover your mouth and nose when sneezing, coughing, or blowing your nose. Always wash your hands with soap and water immediately thereafter or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with anyone who is visibly sick.
What ASCPT will be doing onsite in Houston, Texas for the ASCPT 2020 Annual Meeting:
- Distributing bottles of alcohol-based hand sanitizer to all attendees as well as having large bottles of hand sanitizer throughout the ASCPT Annual Meeting space at the Marriott Marquis Houston.
- Distributing individual size tissue packs to attendees.
- Having disinfectant wipes available at registration, the ASCPT Info Booth, and other common areas and frequently wiping down surfaces.
- Reinforcing good hand hygiene via signage outside all meeting rooms, in the Poster and Exhibit Hall, and in all bathrooms on all of the ASCPT meeting floors.
- Urging attendees to refrain from handshaking.
- Reinforcing good hygiene messaging in the Annual Meeting App.
- Urging any attendee who appears to have a cough, difficulty breathing, or who is obviously unwell, to seek medical attention.
- Hosting a Hot Topic Session on Coronavirus, COVID-2019, on Saturday, March 21, 2020.
In addition to all of the above items, ASCPT is continuing to monitor the Centers for Disease Control website and the World Health Organization (WHO) website and listening to the daily WHO Briefings. Further, we have reached out to the Houston Department of Public Health to engage them in discussion on their plans to address this virus.
Finally, ASCPT is working with the Housekeeping Director at the Marriott Marquis Houston to enhance cleaning of doorknobs, elevator buttons, and other public spaces inside the hotel throughout the duration of the ASCPT Annual Meeting.
We take your health and safety seriously and will be doing everything we can to create a safe environment for all ASCPT Annual Meeting attendees.