The Special Populations Community focuses on research with groups of patients that differ with regard to human development (pediatrics, geriatrics, pregnancy), gender, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, body condition (obesity/malnutrition), or lifestyle (drug dependence, smoking).
The mission of the Special Populations Community is to engage members in clinical pharmacology and translational medicine research across academia, regulatory agencies, and industry to understand factors that contribute to variable therapeutic outcomes in special populations.
- Provide a Community environment that fosters the development of much needed scientific expertise in special populations, including an appreciation for the diversity of the research in special populations.
- Encourage the development of innovative pharmacological tools to engage special populations in research.
- Stimulate scientific collaborations among clinical pharmacologists with interests in special populations and encourage the sharing of knowledge about common challenges in conducting research in special populations.
- Provide a platform to collaborate with regulatory agencies to disseminate knowledge and expertise for the enhancement of guidelines on special populations.
- Support members to propose and sponsor programming for ASCPT Annual Meetings as well as webinars and other educational resources throughout the year that are of interest to the SPO Community.
- Encourage feedback from the SPO Community members and be responsive to ideas, initiatives, and involvement.